+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Want more OP? Ask for more

Hey guys. I think some of you might know this but I'm also a writer for Beckett company. I used to write for their DBZ Collector and now I work for their Anime magazine. Working for them, you get a feel for what people ask for and what's popular. Unlike Viz Media (note their recent merge) which is a ginormous company and has to satisfy two customers, the parents AND the kids, Beckett is still (in the big picture) a smaller company and listens to only one customer, those who buy the magazine.

It's true US Shonen JUMP covers very little OP but the Beckett Anime Collector magazine is strictly governed by what fans ask for.

What am I saying? If you want OP covered ASK FOR IT! As opposed to some companies which send out copy and pasted replies, Beckett REALLY listens to reader input. I know because a lot of the work I've done for them has been based on exactly what readers asked for.

So while Viz can have their SJ, if you want to see a more objective OP view then send those e-mails and replies. I've spoken with the editor and the only reason we're NOT doing OP is because no one is asking for it.

Nobody is asking for it because OP doesn't exist in America.
    <_<
    >_>
    PSN - EvilGamerX
    3DS Friend Code - 0344-9277-3361

OP exists here, but the best way to keep it original is to get as many fans as possible and that isn&#39;t going to happen unless people know what they&#39;re missing. The DVDs will be out eventually and sites like this exist to spread the word, but pulp is still a major form of communication.

I wonder if they stay like that way once they&#39;ve gotten big ~.~ If they&#39;ve ever intended to be big, that is.

I have never heard of that magazine or company before. I wonder if they carry it in this small town I am in right now.
    Sometimes, a dead woman is a dead woman. Sometimes a giant black gorilla is just a giant black gorilla.

Stop reading into every little thing.

I heard of that magazine before. It did bad on Digimon, I don&#39;t think it&#39;ll do good on One Piece

Beckett books are all the rage in my town&#39;s middle schools. :P But that&#39;s really good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Franky
    Bad move, bub!

16,000,000 scovilles >:O

The more people who know One Piece for what is, the better. I&#39;m all for it.

Holy crap, I had NO idea that your a writer for the Beckett company, omae. You totally surprised me. No wonder your so knowledgable. ;)

I wonder if they stay like that way once they&#39;ve gotten big ~.~ If they&#39;ve ever intended to be big, that is.
    The company has been around for years. Since I was in High School when I first started writing for them and I&#39;m graduating college. The company&#39;s focus is on sports trading cards, not Japanese animation magazines. It was a side effort that took off and is currently as big as it is going to get.

A magazine about animation unbound by contracts in what it covers and how much it covers is quite different from a company which is contractually bound to cover certain material in a certain way ocean. The magazine isn&#39;t run on sales, it&#39;s already making plenty of those, it relies on what customers want to read about.

For instance I pushed for years for a Piccolo cover in the DBZ mag but the cover always ended up being based on the fan input and everyone wanted Vegeta or Trunks -_-

Never heard of them... they do manga?

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

yeah man vegeta is way better then piccolo :P

I&#39;ve actually seen a very small One Piece picture on a Beckett cover. It was Luffy stretching out the side of his mouth to show he was made of rubber - the odd thing was, his hand was cut of the image, so it just looked like his mouth was stretching to one side on its own, or like he had an angry bee in his cheek. Very bizarre.
    http://muertitos.comicgenesis.com - a webcomic for the deceased kid in you.

Originally posted by Mr. Santoryu@Apr 8 2005, 07:33 PM
    Holy crap, I had NO idea that your a writer for the Beckett company, omae. You totally surprised me. No wonder your so knowledgable. ;)
    [snapback]27035[/snapback]
    ...Uhh...

I think you&#39;ve got that reversed. Greg writes for Beckett because he&#39;s knowledgeable, not the other way around. Writing for Beckett does not an expert make, as Beckett&#39;s DBZ magazine has shown many times in the past. Just be glad he&#39;s the one writing for the magazine; I daresay he&#39;s the most qualified of all of us (and certainly moreso than the staff of AP). :)
    Co-Translator, Podcast Regular, and Man-in-Japan at Kanzenshuu, your authoritative Dragon Ball online resource

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information